Thursday, September 7, 2017

RECOVERING

Larry Clayton to Joe Petree
May 2005 
 
 
Nice to hear from you, Joe.  I thought I had scared you off with my rabid sermon.
Heart attack; double by pass.  Oh my!  In the old days that was a lot more serious
than it is today.  Still it's good to learn that it's still feasible at our age.  I may be
due for a retread one of these days-- after 7 years.

We're up here in Washington right now, Joe and supposed to start south tomorrow
morning.,  Unfortunately we're taking an eastern route: Ellie made arrangement with
our son, Paul, to meet him at the mouth of the Neuse to get acquainted with his
sailboat.

A few years ago he said that he meant to sail to Tahiti.  Well I knew that wasn't too
likely, and there's been no mention of it since.  Instead his future may involve a trip
to Japan with the girl, Marie, he's been raising-- if she finished high school.

Paul's sailboat is not an ocean going vessel, somewhat less.  For several years it was
stationed at Southport (at the mouth of the Cape Fear).  Last year he made the trip up
Pamlico Bay.  Coincidentally the Clayton family lived down there in the 18th century;
ggg grandfather, James Clayton, may have ordained by Francis Asbury, although he
never belonged to a conference.  He started churches in Craven Co, the Oxford area,
Butts Co. GA, then a couple of counties in Alabama.  Quite a pioneer. 

He lived to be 86.  I'm hoping to achieve that venerable age.  If so I will be the first
one in the line since James.  His son, James, moved to LA and lived (among other
places in the area that later became the town of Clayton.

Ah! Vanity!!  I focused on that stuff for several years right after we retired in 1988.

It will likely take a few weeks before you recover full strength, Joe.  3 months after my
open heart surgery we were back on the tennis court.  I was so grateful at what they
had down for me that I go to the hospital every Thursday to pray with the heart
patients.  I've made a lot of warm friendships that way.

Ellie has gone with Rob (our youngest) to the airport to meet his wife.  She has been
In San Luis Obispo trying to find a reasonable place for the to live next year.  Strange
that Mark taught at Cal Poly for a few years on his way to Stanford, and now Rob will
be counseling at the same place.  We remain amazed at what God has done with our
children.

Blessing to you Joe and Ginny as well, and all of yours.  I can only say that after my
heart surgery I used to tell people that I feel better than I have in years.

But age is catching up on all of us.  This trip has been pretty rigorous, and I'll be
mighty glad to get home.  Home is the right place for such as we.

God bless all you and yours.
------------------------------
Joe R Petree wrote:
Larry,
    I went out of town a couple weeks ago and had myself a heart attack
and double bypass surgery.  Are you still coming the way.  Would love to
see you.
    Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment