Thursday, April 7, 2016

CLAYTON GATHERING

I've finally gotten around to writing about our family gathering for Larry's 90th birthday.

We had the house full for a few days in mid-March to recognize the the milestone Larry has achieved. I'm sure I enjoyed the event more than anyone else but everyone seemed to enjoy being together. It is hard for me to settle on what meant the most to me. Was it playing tennis with 2 sons and 2 grandchildren? Or was it enjoying a few games of noncompetitive Scrabble with anyone who would play? Was it appreciating the attention that each family member showered on the birthday boy. Also we did one art project involving Rennie, Ryan, Julie and me which was fun. But I think the top of the list would have to be listening our three middle-aged sons contributing their expertise to trying to solve the world's problems. Although everyone was able to express his/her individuality, we did so without conflict or selfishness.

Rennie had suggested ahead of time that we duplicate the family photograph that hangs on the wall in the living room. So Paul set it up, we all posed, and we now have a record of the Clayton clan in Dec 2006 compared to us in March 2016.

Rob wrote a booklet in appreciation of his dad from which I will give a short quote:
"All of these qualities: your profound spirituality; your passion for justice; your identification with the oppressed; your compassionate service to others; your commitment to interpersonal engagement; and your commitment to following your own path; all of these qualities have been passed on to me. I find myself proud to feel that, in many ways, I am carrying on your works."


Altogether it was a fitting celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment