Monday, July 3, 2023

THESEUS AND THE UNCONSCIOUS

Fitzwilliam Museum
America
Preludium

I went to an organ concert with others from Arbor Acres. The concert was at Ardmore Baptist Church which was unfamiliar to me. When we were leaving the church Nancy saw a friend and left the group to speak to him. I waited for her at the door of the sanctuary while others went on to board the bus.

When we exited the building we did not see either the others in the group or the bus. We thought we saw the bus down some stairs a short distance away. Since Nancy wasn't comfortable with descending the stairs we cut through the parking lot which avoided the stairs. We passed a woman who was getting ready to get into her car. She accidentally dropped her glasses but didn't notice them lying at her foot. I alerted her to the fact that she was about to step on her glasses. She picked them up and commented that without them she would not have been able to get home. 

When we got a better look at the bus we were headed for, we realized that it was a church bus and not the Arbor Acres bus. We did not see our bus but walked through the parking lot in the direction that we thought it might be waiting. Fortunately we were headed in the right direction. The rest of the group had boarded the bus which was parked beside the street. With our arrival the group was complete and our short drive back to Arbor Acres was soon accomplished.

Before I wrote this I had been thinking of Theseus' and the labyrinth as symbolic of the difficulties of approaching the unconscious with its unknown and threatening content. 

My dream from a few weeks ago was about having lost my shoe on the way down a path on a rugged mountain. The depths to which I was headed was my unconscious and the shoe was the protection I needed along the way and to deal with what may be lurking there when I arrived. The dream alerted me to the journey I need to take and the necessity of having assistance along the way.

https://www.sunyatasatchitananda.com/shadow-work-minotaur-theseus/

 


No comments:

Post a Comment