Friday, December 29, 2017

A JOURNEY

Rob
 Very beautiful Mom. I love this image of Dad's body flowing through the places he loved into the Mississippi to the Gulf, and then blending with the oceans he sailed in his youth. Thank you.

On Nov 13, 2017, at 5:37 PM,
Eleanor Clayton wrote:
I arrived home yesterday (Oct 10) at about 6 PM. I drove from Signal Mountain in about 11 hours. The driving was not as tiring as I expected it to be. I was 3 days on the road and 4 days at Joel's. If she had put me to work in the house and the yard I would have stayed longer but she likes to do everything herself in her own way.
Hugh and Alison are going to build a new, larger home on Signal Mountain. Joel plans to build on the lot next to them. She hasn't told many friends about her plans yet but I suppose it is OK to tell family. They will be moving into a new development in which the homes are constructed by the developer. The date construction will begin has not been determined but the streets are built, the lots are cleared and the underground utilities are laid. I think construction will start on their houses in the first half of 2018.
I enjoyed seeing Clemson and Brevard. Some ashes were spread at the cemetery of the Old Stone Church near the house we owned in Clemson. A relative of Larry's was the first pastor in 1797. I also sprinkled ashes in the gardens on the campus. The next morning I drove to Brevard and had a biscuit at the Burger King Dad and I frequented. I them went into the Pisgah Forest of deliver ashes into the creeks whose waters eventually flow into the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico.
I found my way to Joel's house by instinct because I had forgotten highway names and landmarks. That was a long day but everything came together as I hoped it would. During my visit Joel fed me well and we did recollecting. I got to visit with Hugh, Alison and Ethan more than I expected to. I'm glad I renewed those family ties which form the foundation of who I am and how I fit into where I come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment